Wednesday Recipe: Instant Pot Chicken Gyros
- 3 pounds 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 9 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- juice from 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- pita bread
- lettuce for topping to taste
- tomato for topping chopped, to taste
- feta cheese crumbles for topping to taste
- 1 cup 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced into tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Chicken
Place chicken, onions, garlic, olive oil, oregano, allspice, lemon pepper, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and broth in your Instant Pot.
Cover and press the manual button. Set the timer for 20 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure. Once the timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally for about 10-15 minutes and then move the valve to vent.
Remove the lid. The chicken should be really tender and shreddable. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a cutting board. Shred the chicken. If serving immediately, you can then place chicken on the pita and top with Tzatziki and desired toppings. If serving later, place chicken back into the pot and let it marinate in the juices, and keep the pressure cooker on the warm setting. When ready to serve, use a slotted spoon to remove shredded chicken.
For the Tzatziki Sauce
In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt, and garlic powder. Stir until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the gyros.